Bear spray is a non-lethal self-defense weapon that is used to deter bears. It is made of an aerosol spray that contains capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili peppers.
When sprayed into the eyes and face of a bear, capsaicin causes a burning sensation that can temporarily blind and disorient the bear. This gives the person carrying the bear spray time to escape.
Bear spray can be more effective than other physical means of a bear deterrent than yelling at the bear or even gunfire as it is less likely to escalate a situation, as a bear that is sprayed with bear spray is more likely to run away than to attack.
If you plan hiking or camping in a bear country, it is important to carry bear spray. It is also important to know how to use it properly. Here are some tips for using bear spray:
- Always keep your bear spray in an accessible location, such as a holster on your belt or a backpack pocket.
- When you see a bear, do not approach it. Make yourself look as big as possible and make noise to scare the bear away.
- If the bear does not leave, spray the bear in the face and eyes from a distance of 15 to 30 feet.
- Do not spray the bear if you are within 15 feet of it.
- After you spray the bear, run away and do not look back.
Also watch the video below to see how to use along with other helpful and maybe life saving information.
Bear spray is a valuable tool for protecting yourself from bears. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of staying safe in bear country.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when using bear spray:
- Read the instructions carefully before using bear spray.
- Ensure your bear spray is in good working order before hiking or camping.
- Test your bear spray every few months to ensure it is still effective.
- Store your bear spray in a cool, dry place.
- Do not keep your bear spray in direct sunlight.
- Do not use bear spray if it is expired.
If you are ever in a situation where you need to use bear spray, remember to stay calm and use it as directed. Bear spray is a safe and effective way to protect yourself from bears.
Here is a link to one of the top-rated bear sprays.
Remember, bear spray canisters can not be carried on to a commercial flight, so spray must be bought after you reach your destination or delivered to an Amazon locker near your stay.